This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: linker plugin api limitation
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Evgenii Stepanov <eugeni dot stepanov at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Rafael Ãvila de EspÃndola <rafael dot espindola at gmail dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 10:33:29 -0800
- Subject: Re: linker plugin api limitation
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAG3jReJDT2ZDNRh-cYSSBG76FnrReQWbgFgfsA_gvLdb5zmEEw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOqQnyagQ=4BdfkNgPiAzc9X4B0=BNibChyhJfd3osCcmw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAG3jRe+BBQ-oSU9gu8h26jWZYh1ET03cAunVxsFyUomyC8XJZA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOoRMbnbn+WQ2OYfFDOjqedOQb7z0kcPLpGOAn8RZd01cQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAG3jReL4_b=1QUVbtbFsD3A=MmXUB0ia=0NAmA+Vfs_8R4PBrA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOrrp7mxdQV+SEfpxTOMQmREg2HYY9S9H=Z4c8QX0JE6bw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAG3jReJqFPpUZa-crehm-r2MEnw_ogMjbVVrOhe0jSruGDhXsg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CABMLtrhEQ824a-R02oO0GY+t6LHn65bokqHggCsGaY03eFMR2A at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Evgenii Stepanov
> On Feb 22, 2016 10:26 AM, "Rafael EspÃndola" <email@example.com>
>> > The plugin API does support it as shown by
>> > ar rc foo.a <objs>
>> > gold ... foo.a
>> > Gold just fails to handle it properly.
>> Sorry, but how?
>> With --start-lib --end-lib gold has to ask the plugin for the symbols,
>> and, as far as I can, tell has no way to signal the plugin that that
>> file should not be included in the link.
> Exactly. With AR the plugin never sees the library objects. The seems to be
> no way of knowing that an object should be dropped later.
So you want to ask plugin what symbols are defined in an IR
file without symbol resolution, similar to AR?