This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: gnu-gabi group
- From: Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp dot org>
- To: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: Suprateeka R Hegde <hegdesmailbox at gmail dot com>, "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 19:20:33 +0100
- Subject: Re: gnu-gabi group
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMe9rOqPzub4Qr95JT9_U9FBtbME4Xb2ZTgqPrN-Umf70vWGbQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <87io1z2e2i dot fsf at mid dot deneb dot enyo dot de> <CAMe9rOqxZ6NDTc9pKJRpA--A_+moVNSZXyvZ0mkebx0X+LD=_g at mail dot gmail dot com> <87egcn2diz dot fsf at mid dot deneb dot enyo dot de> <CAMe9rOr6jj0ax0B=9dFpuMYCu=HJaf9a3g2-NGnvNV2ZWTqwXg at mail dot gmail dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1602082307130 dot 18645 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <CAMe9rOqoABu=bD5tgeBQsQXWZmhd5CHSZuwfobg8ezoCmCHNGg at mail dot gmail dot com> <56BC61F0 dot 3010507 at gmail dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1602111635320 dot 29940 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk>
On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 04:38:28PM +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
> I think that none of the ABI extensions in question are anything to do
> with Linux, the kernel. Rather, they are ABI extensions for userspace in
> the GNU system, which apply the same under multiple kernels (but some of
> them may well not apply to Android systems using the Linux kernel, for
> example, if the Bionic C library and dynamic linker lack the relevant
> features). Thus it would be more appropriate for a mailing list to be
> hosted on sourceware or Savannah, and for any resulting documents to refer
> to GNU, not to Linux.
I like that idea. For elfutils we try to follow the various GNU gabi,
ELF and DWARF extensions. Most extensions are independent of the linux
kernel, and also work with kfreebsd or hurd (both of which have a Debian
elfutils port). Having a central place to ask for clarifications and
document these extensions would be great. We do maintain a list of GNU
DWARF extensions: https://fedorahosted.org/elfutils/wiki/DwarfExtensions
But don't have a good list of GNU gabi/ELF extensions.
If we could ask overseers to setup a new group/list gnu-gabi on sourceware
where binutils, gcc, gdb, glibc and other interested parties could join
to maintain these extensions and ask for clarifications that would be
wonderful. I am not a big fan of google groups mailinglists, they seem
to make it hard to subscribe and don't have easy to access archives.
Having a local gnu-gabi group on sourceware.org would be better IMHO.