This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [RFC PATCH, binutils] Add support for creating ELF import libraries
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Cc: "Thomas Preud'homme" <thomas dot preudhomme at foss dot arm dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 05:42:01 -0800
- Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH, binutils] Add support for creating ELF import libraries
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <000001d15738$a73c3160$f5b49420$ at foss dot arm dot com> <56B4A51E dot 2010103 at redhat dot com>
On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 5:35 AM, Nick Clifton <email@example.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>> One convenient mechanism is to create a so called import library that application
>> developers can link against. Such a library can already be created with objcopy
>> --extract-symbol but this means it is done as a separate step than linking.
>> This patch aims to add support in ld to create ELF import libraries at link time.
> Why ? As you say this can already be done with objcopy. Why add code to the linker,
> potentially creating new bugs, when there is an already existing mechanism that works ?
I agree. We need more compelling reasons to add another way to do the same
thing in binutils.