This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Commit: Expect extract symbol test to fail for MIPS
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at imgtec dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 09:05:31 +0000
- Subject: Re: Commit: Expect extract symbol test to fail for MIPS
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <87vb6xddid dot fsf at redhat dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 00 dot 1601240019520 dot 5958 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk>
I did some investigation actually as I noticed this new failure a few
weeks ago, and I have a change in progress I haven't yet had time to
complete. I came to the conclusion in the MIPS case empty `.reginfo',
`.MIPS.options' and `.MIPS.abiflags' sections should simply be discarded
(i.e. preferebly not created in output in the first place and ignored if
seen) as they are meaningless anyway. Otherwise we end up with broken ELF
files we cannot handle anymore, not even `objcopy' them to fix that.
OK - this makes sense. I do not know enough about the MIPS ABI to make this kind of change myself, but I am happy if you are happy.
Instead I am applying the patch below (mainline and 2.26 branch) to
mark the extract symbols test as an expected failure for the MIPS
So obviously I'll now have to revert this change along the proper fix.
Yes please. :-)