This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Commit: Expect extract symbol test to fail for MIPS
- From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at imgtec dot com>
- To: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Cc: <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 00:32:42 +0000
- Subject: Re: Commit: Expect extract symbol test to fail for MIPS
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <87vb6xddid dot fsf at redhat dot com>
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016, Nick Clifton wrote:
> I have decided not to pursue my idea for "fixing" the
> --extract-symbols operation of objcopy so that it preserves target
> specific sections. The operation is only intended to be used for
> generating VxWorks symbol files, so creating invalid MIPS ELF binaries
> should not matter.
I did some investigation actually as I noticed this new failure a few
weeks ago, and I have a change in progress I haven't yet had time to
complete. I came to the conclusion in the MIPS case empty `.reginfo',
`.MIPS.options' and `.MIPS.abiflags' sections should simply be discarded
(i.e. preferebly not created in output in the first place and ignored if
seen) as they are meaningless anyway. Otherwise we end up with broken ELF
files we cannot handle anymore, not even `objcopy' them to fix that.
> Instead I am applying the patch below (mainline and 2.26 branch) to
> mark the extract symbols test as an expected failure for the MIPS
So obviously I'll now have to revert this change along the proper fix.