This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH, ARM, 0/7] Add support for ARMv8-M
- From: Ramana Radhakrishnan <ramana dot gcc at googlemail dot com>
- To: "Thomas Preud'homme" <thomas dot preudhomme at foss dot arm dot com>
- Cc: "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 11:37:54 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH, ARM, 0/7] Add support for ARMv8-M
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <001501d13870$502c7b00$f0857100$ at foss dot arm dot com>
On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 2:11 AM, Thomas Preud'homme
> I'll be posting a patch series intended for the master branch whose aim is to add support for ARMv8-M. As such, it consists mostly of changes to GAS. This patch series does not include changes to support the security extensions beyond assembling related instructions. This will be posted as a separate patch series.
I haven't reviewed this yet but I don't think this patch set should go
into the 2.26 branch yet.
> === Quick overview of ARMv8-M ===
> ARMv8-M has two profiles: Baseline and Mainline. In terms of features they can be defined as:
> ARMv8-M Baseline (armv8-m.base):
> * All ARMv6-M features
> * 16-bit immediate moves
> * Wide Branch
> * Compare & branch if (not) zero
> * Integer divide
> * Load/store exclusives
> * Atomic Load/stores
> * Security extensions
> ARMv8-M Mainline (armv8-m.main):
> * All ARMv7-M features
> * Atomic load/stores
> * Security extensions.
> ARMv8-M Mainline with DSP extension (armv8-m.main+dsp):
> * ARMv8-M Mainline
> * Those instructions added to ARMv7E-M on top of ARMv7-M.
> Note that although certain architectural features of the security extensions are optional for cores implementing ARMv8-M, some of the new instructions are always available in the architecture.
> Note also that only the instructions from security extensions are new instructions, all other instructions have previously been available in other ARM Architecture profiles.
>  http://www.arm.com/products/processors/instruction-set-architectures/armv8-m-architecture.php