This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
PPC64 GOT alignment trouble
- From: Andrew Stubbs <ams at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 10:48:51 +0100
- Subject: PPC64 GOT alignment trouble
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
Since this commit, in April, our PPC64 kernel refuses to boot.
a27e685f Align .TOC. for PowerPC64
I think I can see that the optimal solution to my problem, performance
wise, is to adjust my linker script to properly align the section. Am I
right, or was this supposed to happen magically?
However, given how hard it was to figure out, it seems unreasonable to
break every custom linker script in existence without even a warning!
Is this breakage unintentional? Was it supposed to continue to work when
not 256-byte aligned?
It needs to either Just Work, or fail with a useful diagnostic, but I
don't know which?