This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [committed, PATCH] Change ch_type in Elf64_External_Chdr to 4 bytes
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 08:21:01 +0930
- Subject: Re: [committed, PATCH] Change ch_type in Elf64_External_Chdr to 4 bytes
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150921172309 dot GA13367 at intel dot com>
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 10:23:09AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> The ch_type field in Elf64_External_Chdr is 4 bytes, followed by a
> 4-byte padding. This change doesn't introduce any functional change
> since only the lower 32 bits of the ch_type field are used.
> * external.h (Elf64_External_Chdr): Change ch_type to 4 bytes
> and add ch_reserved.
Since you are still writing the field using bfd_put_64, big-endian
targets of course will continue to write their low 32-bits into
ch_type[4..7]. You can't change this struct without making changes to
the code. Which means breaking backwards compatibility, but I guess
we'll need to live with that.
Australia Development Lab, IBM