This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: SH FDPIC ABI spec/binutils and kernel conflict on flag definitions
- From: David Howells <dhowells at redhat dot com>
- To: Rich Felker <dalias at libc dot org>
- Cc: dhowells at redhat dot com, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, linux-sh at vger dot kernel dot org, binutils at sourceware dot org, Oleg Endo <oleg dot endo at t-online dot de>, Steven Miao <realmz6 at gmail dot com>
- Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 16:45:30 +0100
- Subject: Re: SH FDPIC ABI spec/binutils and kernel conflict on flag definitions
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150910145808 dot GN17773 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <20150910033400 dot GM17773 at brightrain dot aerifal dot cx> <55F17015 dot 8090207 at redhat dot com>
Rich Felker <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> > I think that adopting the kernel's behaviour as correct would set a
> > dangerous precedent. A published ABI should be followed, and if the
> > kernel does not implement it, then the kernel is wrong.
The kernel practice is that once an ABI is set, even if it's actually
implemented incorrectly, you cannot change it.