This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH ARC 3/8] GAS: new ARC port
- From: Claudiu Zissulescu <claziss at gmail dot com>
- To: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Cupertino Miranda <cmiranda at synopsys dot com>
- Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 17:40:51 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH ARC 3/8] GAS: new ARC port
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1441282821-24854-1-git-send-email-claziss at gmail dot com> <CAL0iMy3mjK19TOka+y5UvNHf4D4bmgpTcw0cCAh9JipWvyoRDg at mail dot gmail dot com> <55E9B2A7 dot 7090609 at redhat dot com> <55E9C85C dot 4030702 at gmail dot com> <55EDB0C8 dot 5040608 at redhat dot com> <55EEF395 dot 6010304 at gmail dot com> <55EEFFA6 dot 5090603 at redhat dot com>
On 08/09/15 17:32, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Claudiu,
> > To our
>> knowledge, there is no one doing development or using the old ARC
> Are you sure ?
> But OK, I am willing to accept this assertion. Given that the machine
> number is different then, I no longer have any concerns about the e_flag
> bits. But I do think that you ought to extend the warning message for
> when you detect old/unknown binaries in arc_elf_object_p(). Currently I
> think that you have:
> /* This is an old ARC, throw a warning. Probably the best is to
> * return FALSE. */
> (_("Warning: unset or old architecture flags. \n"
> " Use default machine.\n"));
> Please could you extend this to something like:
> if (e_machine == EM_ARC)
> (_("Error: The ARC4 architecture is no longer supported.\n");
> return FALSE;
> (_("Warning: unset or old architecture flags.\n"
> " Selecting the default ARC architecture.\n"));
Indeed, this is more safer and user friendly warning. I will prepare a new set of patches with your input.