This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH ARC 3/8] GAS: new ARC port
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Claudiu Zissulescu <claziss at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Cupertino Miranda <cmiranda at synopsys dot com>
- Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 16:32:54 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH ARC 3/8] GAS: new ARC port
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1441282821-24854-1-git-send-email-claziss at gmail dot com> <CAL0iMy3mjK19TOka+y5UvNHf4D4bmgpTcw0cCAh9JipWvyoRDg at mail dot gmail dot com> <55E9B2A7 dot 7090609 at redhat dot com> <55E9C85C dot 4030702 at gmail dot com> <55EDB0C8 dot 5040608 at redhat dot com> <55EEF395 dot 6010304 at gmail dot com>
> To our
knowledge, there is no one doing development or using the old ARC
Are you sure ?
But OK, I am willing to accept this assertion. Given that the machine
number is different then, I no longer have any concerns about the e_flag
bits. But I do think that you ought to extend the warning message for
when you detect old/unknown binaries in arc_elf_object_p(). Currently I
think that you have:
/* This is an old ARC, throw a warning. Probably the best is to
* return FALSE. */
(_("Warning: unset or old architecture flags. \n"
" Use default machine.\n"));
Please could you extend this to something like:
if (e_machine == EM_ARC)
(_("Error: The ARC4 architecture is no longer supported.\n");
(_("Warning: unset or old architecture flags.\n"
" Selecting the default ARC architecture.\n"));