This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PING: Re: [PATCH 3/3] ld: Extend options for altering orphan handling behaviour.
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Andrew Burgess <andrew dot burgess at embecosm dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 15:30:51 +0100
- Subject: Re: PING: Re: [PATCH 3/3] ld: Extend options for altering orphan handling behaviour.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <cover dot 1438173197 dot git dot andrew dot burgess at embecosm dot com> <bb728cec3bde9b2b9c20b9ae1cb2f457c32dca55 dot 1438173197 dot git dot andrew dot burgess at embecosm dot com> <20150730050004 dot GT26017 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <20150804110245 dot GK20589 at embecosm dot com> <20150827075414 dot GB5007 at embecosm dot com>
Nick, any feedback either way would be great.
Oops - sorry for the delay.
Replace the options --warn-orphan and --no-warn-orphan with a single
option --orphan-handling=MODE, where mode can be place, warn, error, and
Mode 'place' is the default, and is the current behaviour, placing the
orphan section into a suitable output section.
Mode 'warn' is the same as '--warn-orphan'. The orphan is also placed
using the same algorithm as for 'place'.
Mode 'error' is the same as '--warn-orphan' and '--fatal-warnings'.
Mode 'discard' assigns all output sections to the /DISCARD/ section.
The patch is approved - please apply - but ... please could you also
add an entry in the ld/NEWS file mentioning the new/updated feature ?