This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: RFC: Supporting quoted symbol/label names
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich at suse dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 16:23:11 +0100
- Subject: Re: RFC: Supporting quoted symbol/label names
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <87vbcccxda dot fsf at redhat dot com> <55D45E64020000780009BDBD at prv-mh dot provo dot novell dot com>
Of course (not having looked at the patch in any detail) one question
is how you (want to) deal with non-printable characters (potentially
encode-able via backslash escapes),
The patch currently does not support escape sequences, except for an
escaped double quote. Perhaps it should.
since some are being used by
gas internally (on the assumption that user provided symbol names
can't contain them).
Currently only two values are used by gas internally - 0x1 and 0x2.
Assuming that escape sequences were enabled we could add a check and
complain if either of these values were used. Or just allow them and
warn the user that they really need to know what they are doing.