This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Resolving symbols in dependent libraries
- From: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- To: Andrew Bell <andrew dot bell dot ia at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 22:28:39 -0700
- Subject: Re: Resolving symbols in dependent libraries
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CACJ51z04gF4sujV7OfFRXh7ZuVK+FGTnwwUYAXTiQDTzR+Q3_A at mail dot gmail dot com>
> I'd like to be able to link my program by just referring to a.so, and
> have it know to look in b.so to resolve B():
In Solaris, you could do this by making a.so a filter library,
re-exporting the symbol B from b.so. It's a nice feature that allows
the vendor to split shared libraries and move symbols around without
breaking compatibility, and would be nice to have on Linux.