This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: RFC: Supporting quoted symbol/label names
- From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich at suse dot com>
- To: "Nick Clifton" <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Cc: <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 02:45:56 -0600
- Subject: Re: RFC: Supporting quoted symbol/label names
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <87vbcccxda dot fsf at redhat dot com>
>>> On 18.08.15 at 19:36, <email@example.com> wrote:
> I have tested the patch on 127 different toolchains with no
> regressions, so I think that it probably does work. But what do
> people think ? Is supporting "double quoted" symbol names a good idea ?
To be honest I never understood why there was a limitation in gas
on the characters usable for symbol names.
Of course (not having looked at the patch in any detail) one question
is how you (want to) deal with non-printable characters (potentially
encode-able via backslash escapes), since some are being used by
gas internally (on the assumption that user provided symbol names
can't contain them).