This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: linker garbage collector
- From: Senthil Kumar Selvaraj <senthil_kumar dot selvaraj at atmel dot com>
- To: Sivaprasad <sivaprasad dot pv at redpinesignals dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:11:36 +0530
- Subject: Re: linker garbage collector
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55BA06C2 dot 8010903 at redpinesignals dot com>
On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 04:43:06PM +0530, Sivaprasad wrote:
> I have complied my project with -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections compiler
> options (observed separate section generated for each function) and trying
> to use --gc-sections option while linking.No changes in executable size,
> unused functions are still present in executable file.
> Binutils version used : 2.23
> Please help me, to resolve this issue.
Perhaps your linker script has KEEP directives for those sections?
If not,one way to debug this is to have the linker keep relocation information
in the linked ELF (--emit-relocs). Dumping that information via objdump
or readelf and grepping for function section names should show you the
sections referencing those supposed-to-be-gc'ed sections.