This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
hsdis (OpenJDK) GPL question regarding binutils
- From: "Chris Newland" <cnewland at chrisnewland dot com>
- To: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 18:04:10 +0100
- Subject: hsdis (OpenJDK) GPL question regarding binutils
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Reply-to: cnewland at chrisnewland dot com
I'm the author of JITWatch, a BSD-licensed open-source project for
inspecting the Java HotSpot VM's JIT compiler output.
JITWatch can use the hsdis (HotSpot Disassembler) tool from the OpenJDK
project (GPLv2 + classpath exception -
http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html) which is built by linking
I'd like to be able to host hsdis binaries for JITWatch users but found
these build instructions that suggest a license issue with doing so:
I then found this post suggesting GPLv3 binutils is available:
Could any licensing experts shed some light on whether there is a
compliant way to distribute hsdis binaries that statically link binutils?