This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
RE: Getting started with GNU Assembler
- From: Andrew Bennett <Andrew dot Bennett at imgtec dot com>
- To: "jyoti dot allur at samsung dot com" <jyoti dot allur at samsung dot com>, "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 08:46:35 +0000
- Subject: RE: Getting started with GNU Assembler
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1755261985 dot 99411432651861430 dot JavaMail dot weblogic at epmlwas05b>
> I am interested in understanding and contributing to AS of binutils.
> Any documentation, tutorials/ links that would help get started would be
> highly appreciated.
I would have a read of the user documentation at:
https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.25/as/index.html, and the gas internal
documentation in the following file: gas/doc/internals.texi.
You might also find it useful to read about the bfd library as this is what
gas uses to perform relocations and for writing out the final object file. The
internal documentation for bfd is here: bfd/doc/bfdint.texi.
> How so I set it up for debugging and what are all the test suites to be run
> for sanity checking before submit the patch?
I would recommend running the ld and gas testsuites before submitting a patch.