This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Avoiding unnecessary jump relocations in gas?
- From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor dot com>
- To: Andy Lutomirski <luto at amacapital dot net>
- Cc: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, Borislav Petkov <bp at alien8 dot de>, Jan Beulich <JBeulich at suse dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, "linux-kernel at vger dot kernel dot org" <linux-kernel at vger dot kernel dot org>
- Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 13:59:35 -0700
- Subject: Re: Avoiding unnecessary jump relocations in gas?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CALCETrUXnXVARO=KD+r0YV1wi2vvXF-41VS++F877HsJs1qz9Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <554B6E0102000078000778D0 at mail dot emea dot novell dot com> <CAMe9rOri61BL=uUgC8FVCs0peGR=KKRh629rOsRtbzMs8N=MrA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CALCETrX35KY8M0JKdoF1CB853AiS8wqH2-uQ976EptU3xf3=Dg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOpOuYY0DffAd21VffSpvzvrkPe2pJxpZtEQX=Djpi_Lgw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOrA2QGEagix2PK=QwwapBWMptr4gxW8t06-HhkodBTVwA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CALCETrVSN7Mt_tRQ1_x=mvYD-ygoCHM+juvi80bhddaUEDDxdA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOqrdRUH9kPU6aO=fmtfdPoua319kvsZgRovEyT37kencQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <555A4628 dot 4060802 at zytor dot com> <CAMe9rOrSP=XW29ae3fkHrFUdjhfvGbB5b5U=EA74wofNC4qEBA at mail dot gmail dot com> <555A4B67 dot 4080201 at zytor dot com> <555A4CCC dot 2010102 at zytor dot com> <CALCETrUQ_uMLEn3O-Vmu0vOm_4qRYxgj8YZOUJE13SDMqQmBPQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
On 05/20/2015 01:53 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> Egads. Now I understand what that code is. I don't like the balign,
> since this has nothing to do with alignment -- we're creating an array
> of functions.
Actually it does... we align to the beginning of each slot. If .balign
could be something other than a power of 2 that would work, too.
I was mostly looking to minimize the amount of gas magic we rely on.
> Can't we make it explicit?
> #define EARLY_IDT_HANDLER_STRIDE 9
> .rept NUM_EXCEPTION_VECTORS
> . = early_idt_handlers + i * EARLY_IDT_HANDLER_STRIDE
> .if (EXCEPTION_ERRCODE_MASK >> i) & 1
> pushl $0 # Dummy error code, to make stack frame uniform
> pushl $i # 20(%esp) Vector number
> jmp early_idt_handler
> i = i + 1
> gas will error out if we try to move . backwards, so this should be safe.
If that works too with all the versions of gas we care about, that would
be fine (and I do appreciate the explicitness.) However, .[b]align is
something that will have been well exercised in every version of gas, so
I do feel slightly safer with it.