This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Fix sim fallout from arm assembler complaining about symbols named as insns
- From: Nicholas Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Hans-Peter Nilsson <hans-peter dot nilsson at axis dot com>, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 11:37:16 +0100
- Subject: Re: Fix sim fallout from arm assembler complaining about symbols named as insns
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <201505020017 dot t420Hn09026225 at ignucius dot se dot axis dot com>
I'm not completely sure this new gas warning is a good thing.
I mean, symbols such as those below don't really interfere with
the insn namespace, do they?
No, but they can be a little bit confusing and the problem I was trying
to solve, of an instruction name being mistakenly treated as a symbol,
is genuine. It would be better I agree to restrict this check to just
the case where the "=" assignment operator is being used, but I did not
want to modify generic code. Maybe I should have done that. :-(
To wit, right now, the new symbol "sanity-check" causes failures
for --target arm-eabi check-sim:
So it does. I should have checked that before committing the patch. Sorry.
+2015-05-02 Hans-Peter Nilsson <email@example.com>
+ * bl.cgs (bl0): Rename from symbol colliding with insn name bl.
+ * iwmmxt/tmia.cgs (tmia0): Similar.
+ * iwmmxt/tmiaph.cgs (tmiaph0): Similar.
+ * iwmmxt/waligni.cgs (waligni0): Similar.
+ * iwmmxt/wand.cgs (wand0): Similar.
+ * iwmmxt/wandn.cgs (wandn0): Similar.
+ * iwmmxt/wmov.cgs (wmov0): Similar.
+ * iwmmxt/wor.cgs (wor0): Similar.
+ * iwmmxt/wshufh.cgs (wshuf0): Similar.
+ * iwmmxt/wxor.cgs (wxor0): Similar.
+ * iwmmxt/wzero.cgs (wzero0): Similar.
+ * xscale/mia.cgs (mia0): Similar.
+ * xscale/miaph.cgs (miaph0): Similar.
I think that this is a good solution - please apply.