This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: PR ld/18277: --compress-debug-sections=zlib may generate larger debug sections
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 07:59:18 +0930
- Subject: Re: PATCH: PR ld/18277: --compress-debug-sections=zlib may generate larger debug sections
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMe9rOo7pZk36CFhHAsXhpDwi5Ajs8gXZVrafM99MrZVQUDqeA at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 08:58:43AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> When we set up st_name for output section name in elf_fake_sections, we
> don't know if the compressed DWARF debug section will be smaller. We may
> end up with compressed DWARF debug sections which are bigger than the
> uncompressed ones. This patch delays setting up st_name for output DWARF
> debug section to _bfd_elf_assign_file_positions_for_non_load which will
> compress the output debug section. We also postpone placement of shstrtab
> section after DWARF debug sections have been compressed. The net effect
> is .shstrtab section is now placed after .symtab and .strtab sections.
Looks OK to me.
Australia Development Lab, IBM