Re: PATCH: PR binutils/18209: objdump -h is not very helpful printing decompressed section names

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 9:25 AM, H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 9:17 AM, Nicholas Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi H.J.
>>
>>> OK for master?
>>

>> This patch appears to introduce a lot of regressions.  For example:
>>
>> Checking Binutils in: mips-elf ... BIN: 4 done
>>   BIN REGRESSION: objdump compress debug sections
>>   BIN REGRESSION: objdump compress debug sections 3
>>   BIN REGRESSION: objdump -W
> ..
>> and so on - there are lots more.
>>

> It is because some compressed debug sections aren't smaller
> for big endian targets.  Please try this patch.

fwiw I ran into something like this as well.
The cleverness of not actually compressing the section when being asked to
is annoying.  For myself, IWBN if there was a
"Yes, I said compress. So please do as I say!" flag.

I'm curious if the current cleverness is demonstrably a win.
I'm guessing it is, otherwise it wouldn't have gone in,
but I'd still be curious to see the data.