This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Why is gold still beta?
- From: Markus Trippelsdorf <markus at trippelsdorf dot de>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>, Christoph Grüninger <foss at grueninger dot de>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 08:56:45 +0200
- Subject: Re: Why is gold still beta?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <945115316 dot 328496 dot 1427964736283 dot JavaMail dot open-xchange at ptangptang dot store> <CAKOQZ8zsdgnOc4rHjKJ=V4aDpnRBP9NVO_Nfk1W7XfgKqmfd4w at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOqvj-VVgJObNz3oc6cDKG6+hoF7RdToCP22_Jwg94JjZQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
On 2015.04.02 at 15:21 -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <email@example.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 1:52 AM, Christoph Grüninger <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >> I am wondering why gold is still marked as in beta testing. It was added
> >> to binutils seven years ago.
> >> Is there a reason for this? What is missing? Are there plans to release
> >> it as a proper part of binuitls without being beta?
> > I think it can come out of beta when some distro makes it the standard linker.
> > (I'm actually not sure where it is marked as being in beta.)
> Gold still can't generate working glibc:
And important bugs take much too long (several months) to get fixed.
This gives the impression that gold is virtually unmaintained.