This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] Fixes for a small number of compiler warnings
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp at bitrange dot com>, Ed Schouten <ed at nuxi dot nl>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 13:57:05 +1030
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fixes for a small number of compiler warnings
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CABh_MK=meHjQHZH9Cssu3xSgsrehcar0-COMZSJf0cHZTKxH4A at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150327000715 dot GY26234 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CABh_MKmxfVGU9b=vD9yHdUWXtkN7==Ptmu4h3izQPGCzsa=b=g at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOrys_QG+0opphc9AXn5=Z-Df4Nk0WUFTJEy-dy_ux8Y=g at mail dot gmail dot com> <CABh_MKmKPHAfVo5Q2BkBnQuGFk-x+5a3j46KtXgF9_af2UHrCg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CABh_MKnE8EBOCuTCofXi2CsWsOVq5xtC+cPqZB-NgotzKFFGLg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150401003744 dot GN26234 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <alpine dot BSF dot 2 dot 02 dot 1503312120010 dot 87955 at arjuna dot pair dot com> <20150401024707 dot GP26234 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOrpdXYXG-Lsq3UVCnLxwTk-qFAKZE4Ms5UALquTa9cSNA at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 07:53:36PM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> This becomes a regression with the older GCC.
Yes. I'd rather cause that than have warnings with more recent gcc
versions.. I also agree that we shouldn't worry too much about
compilers other than gcc, and I know that self-assignment is something
that C++ programmers need to worry about which is no doubt why the
warning is on for Clang.
I did consider just reverting the previous patch, but fixing a warning
with a self-assignment just looks horrible to me, particularly when
the warning is about an uninitialized variable. I mean, it looks to
me that a self-assignment actually creates an uninitialized variable
access at the abstract level, when there wasn't one there before!
Australia Development Lab, IBM