This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] PR ld/18160: Segmentation Fault in lang_gc_sections when linking elf_x86_64 output
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:08:16 +1030
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] PR ld/18160: Segmentation Fault in lang_gc_sections when linking elf_x86_64 output
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150325232114 dot GA31855 at gmail dot com>
On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 04:21:14PM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> This patch ignores gc-sections if input relocation is incompatible with
> output. OK for master?
No. For one, it looks like you can't call _bfd_elf_relocs_compatible
with a non-ELF input, which is either a bug in that function or you
need to first test for ELF.
Secondly, if you take a look at the gc-sections code you'll see that
it handles non-ELF input files by simply not garbage collecting those
files. Your patch would disable gc-sections entirely on finding a
non-ELF file. I'm not sure how important it is to keep the old
behaviour, but I'm guessing you did not intend to make that change.
Australia Development Lab, IBM