This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: RFC: Add support for SHF_COMPRESSED
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>
- Cc: Jan Beulich <JBeulich at suse dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, GDB <gdb at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:50:29 -0700
- Subject: Re: RFC: Add support for SHF_COMPRESSED
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMe9rOp7=hH0HSVmbKohv=5JmcV25owj_RtnPYirG1Bhej=XkA at mail dot gmail dot com> <550318C90200007800069E5B at mail dot emea dot novell dot com> <CAMe9rOoy9dbAw7Kh9+-haTE4gj4331Dk5E1YAr+1Xx+HBzCF0w at mail dot gmail dot com> <55031C360200007800069EAF at mail dot emea dot novell dot com> <CAMe9rOqR4tgNr9CvZXoGsO4ASxZyaAp47J4DL=VNtC9AuLYKGA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAHACq4qwgFbz_jF5hE1WeaKfhuYPD0iDerEiu4Dzx3KMtSdnUw at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Cary Coutant <email@example.com> wrote:
>> I added --compressed-debug-sections=[none|zlib] to as and
>> objcopy. I updated gold to decompress SHF_COMPRESSED
>> section. I didn't add --compressed-debug-sections=[none|zlib]
>> to gold since I don't know if this name is a final choice nor
>> gold maintainers want such an option.
> objcopy, gas, and gold already have the --compress-debug-sections
> option (though only gold takes "=[none|zlib]" as a parameter; objcopy
> and gas always use zlib, and spell the negative as
> I don't see any point in adding another option, especially one spelled
> so similarly -- just use the existing option and make it generate the
> new form, after all the consumers understand both formats. (And I
> prefer a verb to an adjective.)
Which consumers do we care?
> If you want the option to generate either format, how about something
> like "--compress-debug-sections=[none|zlib|zlib-old|zlib-new]"? (Where
> "zlib" would generate the old for a while, then we'd switch it to the
> new after some time.
I will do it.