This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] update automake version to 1.11.6
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 08:06:31 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] update automake version to 1.11.6
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150311094134 dot GE9455 at vapier> <1426310999-13103-1-git-send-email-vapier at gentoo dot org>
> Debian stable (wheezy) and newer only have 1.11.6.
> Ubuntu Trusty and newer only have 1.11.6.
> Gentoo dropped <=1.11.5 2 years ago.
> Fedora R17 was the last one to offer 1.11.x (it was 1.11.6).
> Centos 7 doesn't offer any 1.11.x version.
> OpenSUSE 12.2 was the last one to offer 1.11.x.
> Arch Linux dropped 1.11.x 3 years ago.
> Mageia 2 was the last one to offer 1.11.x.
> So anyone who readily has access to automake 1.11.[0-5] is using a two
> year old distro that is no longer supported. Lets use 1.11.6 as it's
> the only 1.11.x version that is easily available.
> 2015-03-14 Mike Frysinger <email@example.com>
> * README-maintainer-mode: Update automake to 1.11.6.
FWIW, I tend to avoid using the auto-tools already installed, because
I don't know what patches they might contain. Those patches can result
in small differences which inexplicably show up when you regenerate
some files after making some modifications. That's why I rebuilt
them all from source, and use them when regenerating files.
All in all, I'm not against switching to 1.11.6 but we should then
regenerate all affected files now, and I would prefer it if that was
done using an unmodified release rather than one that might have been
modified by the distro.