This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] Support gzip compressed exec and core files in gdb
- From: Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat dot com>
- To: Michael Eager <eager at eagerm dot com>
- Cc: "gdb-patches at sourceware dot org" <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>, binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 17:42:36 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Support gzip compressed exec and core files in gdb
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <54FF77D6 dot 7010400 at eagerm dot com> <20150311100702 dot GA3698 at blade dot nx> <5500580C dot 6090400 at eagerm dot com>
Michael Eager wrote:
> On 03/11/15 03:07, Gary Benson wrote:
> >Michael Eager wrote:
> > > Add support to automatically unzip compressed executable and core
> > > files. Files will be uncompressed into temporary directory (/tmp or
> > > $TMPDIR) and are deleted when GDB exits. This should be transparent
> > > to users, except for disk space requirements. The name of the
> > > uncompressed file is mentioned, but all references to the file in
> > > GDB messages is to the file which the user specified.
> > > diff --git a/gdb/common/filestuff.c b/gdb/common/filestuff.c
> > > index 14d6324..b2c31fd 100644
> > > --- a/gdb/common/filestuff.c
> > > +++ b/gdb/common/filestuff.c
> > > +#ifndef GDBSERVER
> > Please do not add GDBSERVER conditionals to gdb/common, I spent
> > half a year removing them all.
> > It looks like this code is only used by GDB, not gdbserver, so
> > the fix is simple, just put the code somewhere GDB-specific.
> Sure. Any suggestions? gdb_bfd.c seems like the wrong place.