This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] Support gzip compressed exec and core files in gdb
- From: Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat dot com>
- To: Michael Eager <eager at eagerm dot com>
- Cc: "gdb-patches at sourceware dot org" <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>, binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 10:07:02 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Support gzip compressed exec and core files in gdb
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <54FF77D6 dot 7010400 at eagerm dot com>
Michael Eager wrote:
> Add support to automatically unzip compressed executable and core
> files. Files will be uncompressed into temporary directory (/tmp or
> $TMPDIR) and are deleted when GDB exits. This should be transparent
> to users, except for disk space requirements. The name of the
> uncompressed file is mentioned, but all references to the file in
> GDB messages is to the file which the user specified.
> diff --git a/gdb/common/filestuff.c b/gdb/common/filestuff.c
> index 14d6324..b2c31fd 100644
> --- a/gdb/common/filestuff.c
> +++ b/gdb/common/filestuff.c
> +#ifndef GDBSERVER
Please do not add GDBSERVER conditionals to gdb/common, I spent half
a year removing them all.
It looks like this code is only used by GDB, not gdbserver, so the
fix is simple, just put the code somewhere GDB-specific.