Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default

> > If you then try to use those object files with an older toolchain or
> > one built without zlib then you'll run into difficulty.
>
> We can require zlib for targets where compression is enabled by default.

Given how difficult it is for me to get someone with approval
privileges to even comment on the patch that allows someone to
build with zlib at a non-standard location, I would say that
this is not the friendliest option at the moment.

I know the patch I proposed is not perfect, but I believe it is
the most pragmatic under the circumstances. I would also accept
and understand a reviewer's rejection of my patch; but since
the alternatives are going to be a significant amount of work
for reasons I do not believe are sufficiently important, I will
pass on that.

--
Joel