This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, Paul Koning <Paul_Koning at dell dot com>, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Thomas Schwinge <thomas at codesourcery dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:25:46 +0400
- Subject: Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1501081828560 dot 32188 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <CAMe9rOo3c31=2VnO3Wk92FH4kNMvPyQPvw8LL-KjeFNigCpiUw at mail dot gmail dot com> <536F5890-7760-456F-A793-586D5493C3B2 at dell dot com> <CAMe9rOoPP6SDOG_Ypp8u+0YcA6K32XjzRnoDrVerof0B7hXGEg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150109034004 dot GE5177 at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOqBv=CiPg2pUnY5HqWKzbqa9yyKgXWJWW6FH4gdxb1USw at mail dot gmail dot com> <E84FB265-3FC7-4FD3-B894-45145A5A55DD at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOo2np7Q1sQwVyV02zYFB=ndCz5iGVKE7oF12ifxzkjY8Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150112042920 dot GE23768 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOoU08h-WGHZq_Pwm=nGV1nDNPwvQqsh7UAp-UL6C6P1xQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
> > If you then try to use those object files with an older toolchain or
> > one built without zlib then you'll run into difficulty.
> We can require zlib for targets where compression is enabled by default.
Given how difficult it is for me to get someone with approval
privileges to even comment on the patch that allows someone to
build with zlib at a non-standard location, I would say that
this is not the friendliest option at the moment.
I know the patch I proposed is not perfect, but I believe it is
the most pragmatic under the circumstances. I would also accept
and understand a reviewer's rejection of my patch; but since
the alternatives are going to be a significant amount of work
for reasons I do not believe are sufficiently important, I will
pass on that.