This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>, Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, Paul Koning <Paul_Koning at dell dot com>, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Thomas Schwinge <thomas at codesourcery dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 04:07:37 -0800
- Subject: Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <87tx012qlu dot fsf at kepler dot schwinge dot homeip dot net> <CAMe9rOprYoRMzOA9roJ_OiifSLX+tir+8F6QwhntBwRy+-Hk2w at mail dot gmail dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1501081828560 dot 32188 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <CAMe9rOo3c31=2VnO3Wk92FH4kNMvPyQPvw8LL-KjeFNigCpiUw at mail dot gmail dot com> <536F5890-7760-456F-A793-586D5493C3B2 at dell dot com> <CAMe9rOoPP6SDOG_Ypp8u+0YcA6K32XjzRnoDrVerof0B7hXGEg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150109034004 dot GE5177 at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOqBv=CiPg2pUnY5HqWKzbqa9yyKgXWJWW6FH4gdxb1USw at mail dot gmail dot com> <E84FB265-3FC7-4FD3-B894-45145A5A55DD at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOo2np7Q1sQwVyV02zYFB=ndCz5iGVKE7oF12ifxzkjY8Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150112042920 dot GE23768 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org>
On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 8:29 PM, Alan Modra <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 05:39:29AM -0800, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> Since debuggers mostly deal with the outputs of linker,
>> they won't even see the compressed debug sections.
> Yes, I think some of the worry up-thread was due to thinking your
> patch affected linker output. Even so, I don't think it is a good
> change. Relocatable object files are generally temporary; You
> compile package source, install the final linked binaries, then clean
> up build directories. An optimisation that reduces temporary file
> size obviously helps with disk storage, and may even reduce link
> time. However there are some cases where relocatable object files are
> installed, for example, crt*.o, library archives and kernel modules.
Kernel modules don't have compressed debug sections since they
are generated by ld which doesn't output compressed debug
sections. As for crt*.o and library archives, I would say they should
be older than your binutils. At least, that is my case.
> If you then try to use those object files with an older toolchain or
> one built without zlib then you'll run into difficulty.
We can require zlib for targets where compression is enabled by default.