This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: ping [was: Slow readelf for huge ARM binary]
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Dmitry Antipov <dantipov at nvidia dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 09:06:03 -0800
- Subject: Re: ping [was: Slow readelf for huge ARM binary]
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <54DB73B5 dot 7000504 at nvidia dot com> <54E6016B dot 9060904 at nvidia dot com>
On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 7:29 AM, Dmitry Antipov <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On 02/11/2015 06:22 PM, Dmitry Antipov wrote:
>> I have a huge ARM v5 EABI binary with > 6.5M entries in .symtab and > 1.4M
>> in .ARM.exidx tables. With such a binary, 'readelf -u' wastes an (almost)
>> amount of time doing linear search in find_symbol_for_address. IMHO this
>> should be
>> fixed with some more advanced stuff, probably the ordered subset of
>> .symtab with
>> STT_FUNC objects; an attached patch illustrates this idea (ARM-only).
> also at https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2015-02/msg00157.html - any
> (Yes, this is not a top-priority issue, but waiting >3hrs for 'readelf -u'
> is not
> an option in any case).
I have seen similar issues on x86. Please open a bug report
and fix it properly for all targets.