This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
ping [was: Slow readelf for huge ARM binary]
- From: Dmitry Antipov <dantipov at nvidia dot com>
- To: <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 18:29:47 +0300
- Subject: ping [was: Slow readelf for huge ARM binary]
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <54DB73B5 dot 7000504 at nvidia dot com>
On 02/11/2015 06:22 PM, Dmitry Antipov wrote:
I have a huge ARM v5 EABI binary with > 6.5M entries in .symtab and > 1.4M entries
in .ARM.exidx tables. With such a binary, 'readelf -u' wastes an (almost) infinite
amount of time doing linear search in find_symbol_for_address. IMHO this should be
fixed with some more advanced stuff, probably the ordered subset of .symtab with
STT_FUNC objects; an attached patch illustrates this idea (ARM-only).
also at https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2015-02/msg00157.html - any thoughts?
(Yes, this is not a top-priority issue, but waiting >3hrs for 'readelf -u' is not
an option in any case).