This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] PR gold/17640
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Ilya Tocar <tocarip dot intel at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>, Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 06:44:03 -0800
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] PR gold/17640
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150202134701 dot GA91020 at msticlxl7 dot ims dot intel dot com> <CAMe9rOpzSBoiykoFG+YuAK8QYsguqzZNrvj2sE7EhafUzOjJJw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150218150011 dot GA40373 at msticlxl7 dot ims dot intel dot com> <CAMe9rOqGecgvSMs937a2b57mGjp-ZF5XuULQoAx3Tr9NG75GcA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150219142707 dot GA507 at msticlxl7 dot ims dot intel dot com>
On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 6:27 AM, Ilya Tocar <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On 18 Feb 07:48, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Ilya Tocar <email@example.com> wrote:
>> > On 02 Feb 06:41, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> >> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 5:47 AM, Ilya Tocar <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> >> > Hi,
>> >> >
>> >> > This patch adds mov to lea conversion to gold (as discussed in PR).
>> >> > It provides about 1.5% performance gain on SPEC2000 geomean,
>> >> > when pie is used.
>> >> > OK for trunk?
>> >> The patch is incomplete. Gold generates a useless R_386_RELATIVE
>> >> relocation together with an unused GOT slot:
>> > I've tried to implement this, however I've encountered some difficulties.
>> > It looks like not creating got slots/relocation in
>> > Target_i386::Scan::local for R_386_GOT32 (that will be converted to
>> > R_386_GOTOFF later) is the right approach.
>> > However in Scan::local we don't have access to corresponding view, and so we are
>> > unable to check wether we are dealing with mov (which can be optimized),
>> > or something else.
>> > Can you provide some advice on how to check for mov's in scan?
>> Can you add access to view in Scan::local?
> Scan::local is called from gold::scan_relocs, so passing view into it
> will require changes in other targets, which I'd like to avoid.
> Also I'm not sure how to get view into instruction that uses
> corresponding relocation.
Gold will fail some TLS testcases in ld, like the ones in
Target_i386::optimize_tls_reloc should check TLS instruction sequence,
similar to elf_i386_check_tls_transition. To do that, you need view. You
can add it and update other targets.