This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: ping #3: [RFA] Add --with-libz-prefix option in config/zlib.m4
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Mark Wielaard <mjw at redhat dot com>, Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>, GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, GDB <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 14:24:20 -0800
- Subject: Re: ping #3: [RFA] Add --with-libz-prefix option in config/zlib.m4
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150218120841 dot GD23529 at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOp9YQrhwwrmqRa+a-04BNvd+p9_MVgxkiVhgt+6TkDb7g at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150218165457 dot GU544 at vapier> <CAMe9rOqVim3=-RCuWE6GnMKoQ1v9WKaDqfaS2k8MpDz7rA_y3g at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150218194443 dot GW544 at vapier> <CAMe9rOqB=zd21_q_C3OGVveza8-y44L2_VntsBZ=C=iBQaaDEA at mail dot gmail dot com> <1424291541 dot 23458 dot 28 dot camel at bordewijk dot wildebeest dot org> <CAMe9rOow3D--tayrR6y_qxoZqXZAZh4g0f9qo8Jd+hYdORRMJQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <1424295643 dot 23458 dot 30 dot camel at bordewijk dot wildebeest dot org> <CAMe9rOqwOa-kzOhaH_D84eGgYE0wV7k-J4jsxXUmHak4On_=aQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150218222140 dot GY544 at vapier>
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Mike Frysinger <email@example.com> wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2015 13:54, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>> > On Wed, 2015-02-18 at 12:53 -0800, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> >> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>> >> > That doesn't seem like a smart default. And why is is Linux/x86 only?
>> >> > Shouldn't that be something that is done explicitly by a distro
>> >> > configuring binutils after making sure it actually is beneficial
>> >> > (debuginfo is often compressed in a different way, on the package/file
>> >> > level or with dwz). And after making sure all tools actually work with
>> >> > it? There are various tools that don't handle the .zdebug format like
>> >> > valgrind. And at least elfutils has trouble with it for ET_REL files,
>> >> > like kernel modules, because relocations don't actually apply anymore to
>> >> > the section data as is (but only after the decompression).
>> >> Now it becomes a monthly topic:
>> >> https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2015-01/msg00089.html
>> > Thanks, I hadn't seen that before. Alan Modra makes some good points in
>> > that thread why it is not a good change:
>> > https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2015-01/msg00135.html
>> > Do people agree with that? And/Or can the change be reverted for now
>> > till there is agreement it is a desirable default?
>> It may not be a good idea for all targets. If you find an issue
>> on Linux/x86, please file a bug binutils report.
> i think we already have the reports: multiple people don't think it should be
> (1) x86-specific or (2) required. don't get me wrong -- i think having support
> like this is great. that doesn't mean we should be forcing it.
Please file a bug report with a testcase.