This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] PR gold/17640
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Ilya Tocar <tocarip dot intel at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>, Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 07:48:52 -0800
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] PR gold/17640
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150202134701 dot GA91020 at msticlxl7 dot ims dot intel dot com> <CAMe9rOpzSBoiykoFG+YuAK8QYsguqzZNrvj2sE7EhafUzOjJJw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150218150011 dot GA40373 at msticlxl7 dot ims dot intel dot com>
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Ilya Tocar <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On 02 Feb 06:41, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 5:47 AM, Ilya Tocar <email@example.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > This patch adds mov to lea conversion to gold (as discussed in PR).
>> > It provides about 1.5% performance gain on SPEC2000 geomean,
>> > when pie is used.
>> > OK for trunk?
>> The patch is incomplete. Gold generates a useless R_386_RELATIVE
>> relocation together with an unused GOT slot:
> I've tried to implement this, however I've encountered some difficulties.
> It looks like not creating got slots/relocation in
> Target_i386::Scan::local for R_386_GOT32 (that will be converted to
> R_386_GOTOFF later) is the right approach.
> However in Scan::local we don't have access to corresponding view, and so we are
> unable to check wether we are dealing with mov (which can be optimized),
> or something else.
> Can you provide some advice on how to check for mov's in scan?
Can you add access to view in Scan::local?