This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] PR ld/17975: Useless FILE entry in symbol table for linker generated symbols
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 04:58:17 -0800
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] PR ld/17975: Useless FILE entry in symbol table for linker generated symbols
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150215184602 dot GA25935 at gmail dot com> <20150216010455 dot GB4274 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOpZWO=VQFdaY1pDE5gnKk6ivAQ-OurH4DoOvPZnOVQ9Dw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150216014744 dot GD4274 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOpjoW_ZFcLTHhik+oMhR2AUYROAH5FdeZ=xHzn3Dojm=g at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150216064203 dot GF4274 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org>
On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Alan Modra <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> It turns out there is a complication in my proposal. When emitting a
> relocation against a local symbol, we need to know the index of the
> symbol in the output file. A similar difficulty occurs with group
> signature local symbols. Delaying output of locals means we don't
> know their indices. I think it would be possible to cope with this
> but the amount of effort isn't worth the benefit.
> Go ahead with your patch.
Done. I will update testscases for this change. Please let me
know if I miss any.