This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] PR ld/17975: Useless FILE entry in symbol table for linker generated symbols
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 17:12:03 +1030
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] PR ld/17975: Useless FILE entry in symbol table for linker generated symbols
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150215184602 dot GA25935 at gmail dot com> <20150216010455 dot GB4274 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOpZWO=VQFdaY1pDE5gnKk6ivAQ-OurH4DoOvPZnOVQ9Dw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150216014744 dot GD4274 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOpjoW_ZFcLTHhik+oMhR2AUYROAH5FdeZ=xHzn3Dojm=g at mail dot gmail dot com>
It turns out there is a complication in my proposal. When emitting a
relocation against a local symbol, we need to know the index of the
symbol in the output file. A similar difficulty occurs with group
signature local symbols. Delaying output of locals means we don't
know their indices. I think it would be possible to cope with this
but the amount of effort isn't worth the benefit.
Go ahead with your patch.
Australia Development Lab, IBM