Re: Contributing FreeBSD/aarch64 support

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 9 February 2015 at 10:25, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On 8 February 2015 at 23:12, Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Also if you need
>>> -Wno-uninitialized, it might make sense to figure out better patches
>>> for those places where unitialized warnings happen.
>>
>> This one is fixed with:
>> -  struct bfd_link_hash_entry ehdr_start_save = ehdr_start_save;
>> +  struct bfd_link_hash_entry ehdr_start_save;
>
> I missed that the redundant assignment was added intentionally (I
> assumed it was an accident).  It was done in commit f9c316c to
> eliminate an uninitialized warning from older GCC.
>
> H.J., do you have a suggestion on an approach for both old GCC and
> recent Clang? Perhaps an explicit #if condition on __GNUC__ and
> __GNUC_MINOR__ for the redundant assignment?

This is a common practice to silence GCC warning in biutils
I prefer not to add #if for clang.

Do you get clean results for "make check" with clang?
If not, I don't see why we should change source for clang.
You can always configure binutils with --disable-werror.

--
H.J.