This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Compressed exec and core files
- From: Michael Eager <eager at eagerm dot com>
- To: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:02:06 -0800
- Subject: Compressed exec and core files
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
I'm working on a patch to BFD to support opening compressed
exec and core files transparently. When bfd_fopen is called
to open a compressed file, the file would be decompressed into
a temporary file, and the bfd for the temp returned. Compression
with gzip and bzip2 would be supported (others can be added later).
This seems pretty straight-forward. Any thoughts or comments?
Michael Eager email@example.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077