This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: ping: [RFA] Add --with-libz-prefix option in config/zlib.m4
- From: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>
- To: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, binutils at sourceware dot org, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 09:21:16 +0100
- Subject: Re: ping: [RFA] Add --with-libz-prefix option in config/zlib.m4
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150107144548 dot GX5432 at adacore dot com> <20150121074758 dot GM4041 at adacore dot com>
> On 21 Jan 2015, at 08:47, Joel Brobecker <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Thank you! :)
What is the rational for having --with-zlib but --with-libz-prefix
(ie zlib vs libz) ? Looks not very consistent.
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 06:45:48PM +0400, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>> This patch enhances config/zlib.m4 to introduce an extra option
>> --with-libz-prefix which allows us to provide the location of
>> the zlib library we want to use during the build.
>> * zlib.m4 (AM_ZLIB): Add --with-libz-prefix option support.
>> I didn't see any file in the GCC project that uses this macro,
>> so for the GCC repository, the change to zlib.m4 is it. But
>> I am also attaching to this email a copy of the patch that
>> will be applied to the binutils-gdb.git repository, with all
>> configury using this macro being re-generated - mostly for info,
>> also as a heads-up to both binutils and GDB.
>> This was tested by regenerating all autoconf/automake files in
>> the binutils-gdb project, and rebuilding GDB, using the following
>> --with-zlib (system zlib used)
>> --with-libz-prefix=/zlib/prefix (specific zlib linked in)
>> --with-zlib --with-libz-prefix=/zlib/prefix (specific zlib linked in)
>> --without-zlib (zlib support turned off)
>> --without-zlib --with-zlib-prefix (zlib support turned off)
>> --with-zlib (no system zlib available, configure fails with expected error)
>> --with-zlib --with-libz-prefix=/invalid/zlib/prefix
>> (no system zlib, configure fails with same error)