This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Experimental branches
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, gdb-patches <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 08:17:04 +0400
- Subject: Re: Experimental branches
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAHACq4qPSC6YX_uAcT0n35QD61LxATcKhjG0BXQ-qRhQ+GU63A at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOqGKgd2gF6FLEAO4JQuDzyQJ8DXw94eE3ckO=ZiEep+SA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20141223180802 dot GP12884 at adacore dot com> <CAHACq4ovTQCoTpXnnU1_Rpo7cR5gDwpYZkd17zfm2dwpWJNorA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOprFe_cqVPoz6Bd1Fh3GaBYkHyem+upZQFe=FRrQW3tfg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20141224002022 dot GQ12884 at adacore dot com> <CAHACq4pOQzXqhePkuvm_-b0dtHiwBCre2V_d3JbtotaPooN0zA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150115235652 dot GU23768 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <20150116031811 dot GR8167 at adacore dot com> <54B95B9A dot 3030408 at redhat dot com>
> > That one is actually intentional. I really think that those diffs
> > are really useful - at least to me - and this was discussed a bit
> > when I made the proposal to switch to the new hooks. Do you think
> > they are a problem?
> Are they really useful? There's always the link at the top of the
> commit email that allows you to view the diff.
I can only speak personally, but I think they are. I usually take
a glance at the diffs that actually went in, and I've been catching
a few little things here and there. Having to click on links makes that
clunky enough that I just don't do it; this is compounded by the fact
that I use a text-based mail-reader. I'm also regularly offline as well
when reading emails (which I have downloaded onto my computer). Having
the diff in the email is also the difference between looking at it and
Despite all that, I do not have a necessarily strong opinion about
this. Unless we actually find that the diffs are causing trouble,
I'd like to give the diffs a try. But if people want to go back,
then I'll make that happen.