This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>, Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, Paul Koning <Paul_Koning at dell dot com>, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Thomas Schwinge <thomas at codesourcery dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 14:59:20 +1030
- Subject: Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <87tx012qlu dot fsf at kepler dot schwinge dot homeip dot net> <CAMe9rOprYoRMzOA9roJ_OiifSLX+tir+8F6QwhntBwRy+-Hk2w at mail dot gmail dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1501081828560 dot 32188 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <CAMe9rOo3c31=2VnO3Wk92FH4kNMvPyQPvw8LL-KjeFNigCpiUw at mail dot gmail dot com> <536F5890-7760-456F-A793-586D5493C3B2 at dell dot com> <CAMe9rOoPP6SDOG_Ypp8u+0YcA6K32XjzRnoDrVerof0B7hXGEg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150109034004 dot GE5177 at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOqBv=CiPg2pUnY5HqWKzbqa9yyKgXWJWW6FH4gdxb1USw at mail dot gmail dot com> <E84FB265-3FC7-4FD3-B894-45145A5A55DD at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOo2np7Q1sQwVyV02zYFB=ndCz5iGVKE7oF12ifxzkjY8Q at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 05:39:29AM -0800, H.J. Lu wrote:
> Since debuggers mostly deal with the outputs of linker,
> they won't even see the compressed debug sections.
Yes, I think some of the worry up-thread was due to thinking your
patch affected linker output. Even so, I don't think it is a good
change. Relocatable object files are generally temporary; You
compile package source, install the final linked binaries, then clean
up build directories. An optimisation that reduces temporary file
size obviously helps with disk storage, and may even reduce link
time. However there are some cases where relocatable object files are
installed, for example, crt*.o, library archives and kernel modules.
If you then try to use those object files with an older toolchain or
one built without zlib then you'll run into difficulty.
Australia Development Lab, IBM