This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>
- Cc: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>, Paul Koning <Paul_Koning at dell dot com>, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Thomas Schwinge <thomas at codesourcery dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 05:39:29 -0800
- Subject: Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20141214144317 dot GA25790 at gmail dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1412151845470 dot 4719 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <CAMe9rOpz7LMckAmJ6r5gL9=Jaz3F0Hb480UrYSO5v9KoSPBDLg at mail dot gmail dot com> <87tx012qlu dot fsf at kepler dot schwinge dot homeip dot net> <CAMe9rOprYoRMzOA9roJ_OiifSLX+tir+8F6QwhntBwRy+-Hk2w at mail dot gmail dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1501081828560 dot 32188 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <CAMe9rOo3c31=2VnO3Wk92FH4kNMvPyQPvw8LL-KjeFNigCpiUw at mail dot gmail dot com> <536F5890-7760-456F-A793-586D5493C3B2 at dell dot com> <CAMe9rOoPP6SDOG_Ypp8u+0YcA6K32XjzRnoDrVerof0B7hXGEg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150109034004 dot GE5177 at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOqBv=CiPg2pUnY5HqWKzbqa9yyKgXWJWW6FH4gdxb1USw at mail dot gmail dot com> <E84FB265-3FC7-4FD3-B894-45145A5A55DD at adacore dot com>
On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 12:32 AM, Tristan Gingold <email@example.com> wrote:
>> On 09 Jan 2015, at 04:49, H.J. Lu <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Joel Brobecker <email@example.com> wrote:
>>>> This feature is very generic and should work for all ELF targets.
>>>> Is there anyone who can make a decision to enable it for all ELF
>>>> targets by default?
>>> Not necessarily any ONE, but the group of Global Maintainers for
>>> the binutils project?
>> Among global maintainers, Nick and Alan are the most active ones. I
>> CCed them here.
>> Nick, Alan, should we enable compressed debug section in
>> assembler for all ELF targets? If not all ELF targets, should we
>> enable it for all Linux targets?
> I am not sure that enabling compression for all ELF targets is a good
> idea. There are many debuggers other than GDB that don't know yet
> how to handle compressed debug section.
> I would say this doesn't apply directly to Linux, but I am also sure
> there are many tools using debug info that don't know how to deal
> with compressed sections.
> Maybe it would be simpler if the default were controlled by gcc.
Most of the consumers of the outputs of assembler are binutils
tools. Linker won't generate compressed debug sections by
default. ld.bfd can't even generate compressed debug sections and
gold --compress-debug-sections has an issue:
Since debuggers mostly deal with the outputs of linker,
they won't even see the compressed debug sections. Even
if there is a problem, we can run objcopy to decompress the debug