This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default
- From: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>, Paul Koning <Paul_Koning at dell dot com>, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Thomas Schwinge <thomas at codesourcery dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 09:32:10 +0100
- Subject: Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20141214144317 dot GA25790 at gmail dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1412151845470 dot 4719 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <CAMe9rOpz7LMckAmJ6r5gL9=Jaz3F0Hb480UrYSO5v9KoSPBDLg at mail dot gmail dot com> <87tx012qlu dot fsf at kepler dot schwinge dot homeip dot net> <CAMe9rOprYoRMzOA9roJ_OiifSLX+tir+8F6QwhntBwRy+-Hk2w at mail dot gmail dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1501081828560 dot 32188 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <CAMe9rOo3c31=2VnO3Wk92FH4kNMvPyQPvw8LL-KjeFNigCpiUw at mail dot gmail dot com> <536F5890-7760-456F-A793-586D5493C3B2 at dell dot com> <CAMe9rOoPP6SDOG_Ypp8u+0YcA6K32XjzRnoDrVerof0B7hXGEg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150109034004 dot GE5177 at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOqBv=CiPg2pUnY5HqWKzbqa9yyKgXWJWW6FH4gdxb1USw at mail dot gmail dot com>
> On 09 Jan 2015, at 04:49, H.J. Lu <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Joel Brobecker <email@example.com> wrote:
>>> This feature is very generic and should work for all ELF targets.
>>> Is there anyone who can make a decision to enable it for all ELF
>>> targets by default?
>> Not necessarily any ONE, but the group of Global Maintainers for
>> the binutils project?
> Among global maintainers, Nick and Alan are the most active ones. I
> CCed them here.
> Nick, Alan, should we enable compressed debug section in
> assembler for all ELF targets? If not all ELF targets, should we
> enable it for all Linux targets?
I am not sure that enabling compression for all ELF targets is a good
idea. There are many debuggers other than GDB that don't know yet
how to handle compressed debug section.
I would say this doesn't apply directly to Linux, but I am also sure
there are many tools using debug info that don't know how to deal
with compressed sections.
Maybe it would be simpler if the default were controlled by gcc.