This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Thomas Schwinge <thomas at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 08:28:52 -0800
- Subject: Re: PATCH: Compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by default
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20141214144317 dot GA25790 at gmail dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1412151845470 dot 4719 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <CAMe9rOpz7LMckAmJ6r5gL9=Jaz3F0Hb480UrYSO5v9KoSPBDLg at mail dot gmail dot com> <87tx012qlu dot fsf at kepler dot schwinge dot homeip dot net>
On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 8:18 AM, Thomas Schwinge <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:04:01 -0800, "H.J. Lu" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Joseph Myers <email@example.com> wrote:
>> > On Sun, 14 Dec 2014, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> >> I checked in this patch to compress debug sections for Linux/x86 by
>> >> default.
>> > I don't think it makes sense for something like this to be
>> > architecture-dependent. If desired it should be done for GNU/Linux on all
>> > architectures (and probably for GNU/Hurd, GNU/kFreeBSD etc. - all systems
>> > with GNU userspace), if not for all ELF targets.
>> Sure, someone can contribute a patch.
> I don't like this attitude very much. We should strive to be a bit more
> cooperative within our own community, at least. As Joseph says, there is
> no reason to restrict this change -- which, as Joel has pointed out, has
> not been discussed/reviewed/approved before -- to x86 GNU/Linux only.
It is next to impossible to get agreements for all targets.
It is better to start from somewhere. Each target maintainer
should make his/her own decision.