Re: Can the automatic daily update commits be stopped?

On 6 January 2015 at 15:54, David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com> wrote:
> H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Try this in binutils-gdb tree:
>>
>> #  echo "$(git remote -v | grep fetch | awk '{ print $2}') on $(git
>> name-rev --name-only HEAD) commit $(git log -1 --pretty=%H)"
>
> I suspect that what Andreas is getting at is that you can't compare SHA1 sums
> to gain any information on the relative age of two commits.

I guess the situation is you have no access to git (and is unlikely as
you probably have a clone somewhere as a developer) and you have two
tarballs and wish to determine which is more recent? You can resort to
reading changelogs at that point. Is there an actual situation where
this information is actually needed?

It seems a bit like the argument of monotonic version numbers versus
SHA hashes in the early days of DVCS and it turns out we didn't really
need monotonic version numbers, we were just used to having them.

--
Will Newton
Toolchain Working Group, Linaro