This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] gas: allow labeling of CFI instructions
- From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich at suse dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: "Binutils" <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:35:51 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] gas: allow labeling of CFI instructions
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <549443A90200007800051089 at mail dot emea dot novell dot com> <CAMe9rOqmE9NnzzGVLxOO=pJ2KJxKUpR5Ze07QVWGWxqcEjGvsA at mail dot gmail dot com>
>>> On 19.12.14 at 15:32, <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 6:26 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@suse.com> wrote:
>> When runtime patching code (like e.g. done by the Linux kernel) there
>> may be cases where the set of stack frame alterations differs between
>> unpatched and patched code. Consequently the corresponding unwind data
>> needs patching too. Locating the right places within an FDE, however,
>> is rather cumbersome without a way to insert labels in the resulting
>> section. Hence this patch introduces a new directive, .cfi_label. Note
>> that with the way CFI data gets emitted currently (at the end of the
>> assembly process) this can't support local FB- and dollar-labels.
>> 2014-12-19 Jan Beulich <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>> * gas/dw2gencfi.c (cfi_add_label, dot_cfi_label): New.
>> (cfi_pseudo_table): Add "cfi_label".
>> (output_cfi_insn): Handle CFI_label.
>> (select_cie_for_fde): Als terminate CIE when encountering
>> * dw2gencfi.h (cfi_add_label): Declare.
>> (struct cfi_insn_data): New member "sym_name".
>> (CFI_label): New.
>> * read.c (read_symbol_name): Drop "static".
>> * read.h (read_symbol_name): Declare.
> No testcases?
Oh, I meant to say a word on the lack thereof: I can't see how to
create a meaningful, yet architecture independent test case for
this, despite having thought about possibly ways quite a bit. Any
suggestions are welcome.