This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: gold plugin support
- From: K Jski <bielsk1 at vt dot edu>
- To: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 14:12:32 -0500
- Subject: Re: gold plugin support
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAH=yU0ag3yvgcVEpQMbN+oywHcXy5puV=QCpExUWn9cF+=JCRQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAHACq4q+nBGp6WidWcvuW4QCGDQ0dt5xQip-x=h+tMXsKJ3N8g at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAH=yU0bYyD3DTpaSYuCBwMhRBCunZfkcWgA_8--di9Q8Oc-L-A at mail dot gmail dot com>
Dear Mr. Coutant,
I have read through the API and did not find the hooks I needed to
accomplish what I wanted (as you predicted). In this case, do you have
any tips of how I could accomplish function-alignment via Gold?
On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 2:22 PM, K Jski <email@example.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response! I shall take a look the the API and see
> if it helps
> ~C Jelesnianski
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Cary Coutant <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> The linker plugin API is described here:
>> The header file in include/plugin-api.h also goes into some detail.
>> It's implemented in both gold and the BFD ld.
>> The API was designed for LTO (link-time optimization), so I'm not sure
>> that it provides the hooks you'd need to do what you described.
>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 11:21 AM, K Jski <email@example.com> wrote:
>>> Dear BinUtils,
>>> I am working on a custom function-address-aligner in order to produce
>>> an aarch64 binary. I have already tried achieving this with the linaro
>>> (4.9-2014.10 version to be exact) aarch64-toolchain utilizing their
>>> aarch64-linux-gnu-ld with the --defsym flag without success. (it does
>>> align but this causes my micro-test to segfault)
>>> Another approach I had thought of was to write a gold plugin and use
>>> gold to achieve though I'm having trouble finding any documentation on
>>> this (like a tutorial for even a super simple plugin )
>>> the first thing that comes up when I google is LLVM's gold plugin
>>> which is not what I want I assume. I have dug though gold src code and
>>> have found a plugin object but its leaving me with not much to work
>>> Thank you,
>>> C Jelesnianski