This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: gold plugin support
- From: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>
- To: K Jski <bielsk1 at vt dot edu>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:18:19 -0800
- Subject: Re: gold plugin support
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAH=yU0ag3yvgcVEpQMbN+oywHcXy5puV=QCpExUWn9cF+=JCRQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
The linker plugin API is described here:
The header file in include/plugin-api.h also goes into some detail.
It's implemented in both gold and the BFD ld.
The API was designed for LTO (link-time optimization), so I'm not sure
that it provides the hooks you'd need to do what you described.
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 11:21 AM, K Jski <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Dear BinUtils,
> I am working on a custom function-address-aligner in order to produce
> an aarch64 binary. I have already tried achieving this with the linaro
> (4.9-2014.10 version to be exact) aarch64-toolchain utilizing their
> aarch64-linux-gnu-ld with the --defsym flag without success. (it does
> align but this causes my micro-test to segfault)
> Another approach I had thought of was to write a gold plugin and use
> gold to achieve though I'm having trouble finding any documentation on
> this (like a tutorial for even a super simple plugin )
> the first thing that comes up when I google is LLVM's gold plugin
> which is not what I want I assume. I have dug though gold src code and
> have found a plugin object but its leaving me with not much to work
> Thank you,
> C Jelesnianski